The carrying out of building, engineering, mining and other operations or the making of a material change in the use of any building or other land will constitute ’development’ for the purposes of the Town & Country Planning Act 1990 and will normally require planning permission. However, certain limited forms of development may be carried out without the need to apply for planning permission* – known as “Permitted Development”. These “Permitted Development” rights can apply to a wide range of development types including:

  • Alterations and extensions to a dwellinghouse or some forms of development within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse
  • Minor operations such as the erection, maintenance or improvement of gates, fences, walls and other means of enclosure or the painting of the exterior of a building
  • Some changes of use
  • Temporary buildings and uses
  • Caravan sites
  • Agricultural buildings and operations
  • Industrial and warehouse development

– to name but a few.

To find out whether what you propose requires planning permission or not, email us with your enquiry.

*(Please note that whilst certain development may be “Permitted Development” for planning purposes, it may still require Building Regulation approval. Other requirements may also apply to Listed Buildings and their curtilage, buildings within Conservation Areas and within National Parks or other areas of special control)